I know it’s an old cliché that children are our future. But they are. And they are our future leaders
~ Gayle Stokes
Delegates from Medmina College, Ibadan (MCI) joined other secondary schools in Nigeria to participate in the Abuja International Model United Nations Conference 2020 (AIMUN’20), which was themed “THE FUTURE WE WANT, THE UN WE NEED; REAFFIRMING OUR COMMITMENT TO MULTILATERALISM”.
During the conference, participants were designated as United Nations (UN) Ambassadors, grouped into various committees of the United Nations. They were then charged to debate, lobby and negotiate with one another for practical solutions to the world’s most daunting challenges such as; Climate Change, Human Rights Issues, Discrimination, Terrorism, Cyber Security, Refugee, and Economic Crisis, etc. – using the foreign policy objectives of individual United Nations (UN) Member State they individually represented.
In the process of doing the above, participants had un-matched opportunities to acquire leadership attributes that are ordinarily not available or otherwise difficult to acquire in the course of reading books, viewing films and/or accessing the internet. They also had extraordinary chances to strengthen their abilities to engage in the arts of reasoned argument and spirited debate, develop and practice analytical writing and public speaking as well as deepen their knowledge and understanding of the world and its people for effective and efficient civic and public affairs leadership.
The six students represented MCI for this years’ event are:
Mubarak Ahmad, Mahmud Abbad, Umar Farouk, Yahya Fatiha, Zakariyya Aisha, and Oloso Farhat.
MCI also made a lasting impression during the event with our students bagging numerous awards:
– Delegate from Djibouti (Mubarak Ahmad): Award of Honorable Mention from the Economic and Financial Committee
– Delegate from Côte d’Ivoire (Mahmud Abba); Best Position Paper from the Economic and Financial Committee
– Delegate from Fiji (Yahya Fatiha): Best Position Paper from Social, Cultural and Humanitarian Committee
– Delegate from Fiji (Yahya Fatiha): Best Delegate from Social, Cultural and Humanitarian Committee
– Delegate from Egypt (Umar Farouk): Best Delegate from the Economic and Financial Committee
The team was also awarded as The Best Delegation during the event.
Indeed, we are able!
More pictures from the event below…